This is where the rubber meets the road for every American citizen and business. Taxes are the most direct way that governments impact the citizens and affects their lives and pocket books. This is why I’m supporting the FAIRtax.
Our current income tax is flawed, critically. It is unfair, as only a small percentage of tax payers pay the bulk of the taxes, and nearly half have no tax liability at all. With all the loopholes, deductions, and incentives, legislators get to play favorites by choosing who benefits from these, and more nefariously, they do this while taking in lobbyist dollars to support one loophole, deduction, or incentive over another.
Also, and this is contrary to any new administration who wishes to “unite the nation,” the income tax is used all too frequently to pit one group of citizens against another. Usually it’s everyone vs. the rich. There’s nothing about dividing a nation that will ensure its survival.
Oh, and did you know that a progressive income tax is also the 2nd plank of the communist manifesto? Duck Duck Go it, and the other planks. See where we already are as a nation.
It’s time to throw this wasteful tax system out.
John Gaver, in his book “The Rich Don’t Pay Tax!…Or Do They?“, notes that any solution to our tax system should meet several requirements in order to be successful. Among these are:
- Clear and simple. Easy to understand and comply with without the need for an accountant.
- Transparent. You should see every cent in taxes you’re paying. Withholding has made us ignorant of what we actually pay the Federal Government in income, payroll, Social Security, etc. taxes.
- Fair. Every tax payer treated equally. No more picking winners and losers, or playing favorites.
- Un-intrusive. No more unwarranted window into our personal finances. No more need for audits of the tax payer.
- Increase compliance. Greatly reduces the chance for fraud and cheating
- Tax underground economy. Get as much tax as possible from drug dealers, illegal aliens, etc.
- Bring in foreign investment. Create a tax environment that not only encourages American business to invest in the US, but foreign businesses and investors.
- Revenue neutral. While we need to reduce spending (that’s a totally different need!), any new tax system should produce the same revenue as the current system.
The FAIRtax meets these requirements, and many others.
From the FAIRtax site: “The FairTax is a national sales tax that treats every person equally and allows American businesses to thrive, while generating the same tax revenue as the current four-million-word-plus tax code. Under the FairTax, every person living in the United States pays a sales tax on purchases of new goods and services, excluding necessities due to the prebate.”
Take a look. Educate yourself. As the saying goes, “Once you understand it, you’ll demand it.”